2013 will be an exciting year for travel! The economy is turning around and a new stream of consciousness is helping people realize that life is short and the time to tackle those travel dreams is now.
With that in mind, here’s a look at some of the travel trends in store for 2013:
1. The Staycation is over! Family budgets are on the mend which means it is time to end the cabin fever families have been forced to endure while they hunkered down the past several years. We will see resurgence in planning for spring break trips and that annual summer vacation maybe to Disneyland or the beach. Be on the lookout starting now for lodging and excursion deals to help you stay within your budget and get the most for your money.
2. Experiential travel. My personal favorite! Travelers have a thirst this coming year for a unique experience over simply arriving at a destination. Be on the lookout for unique excursion opportunities and even tour companies that cater to experiential travel. Coming home with ‘bragging rights’ about a cool experience is just as important as the souvenirs. Who’s up for an exhaustive journey to the hanging coffins in Segada in the Philippines?
3. Luxury travel is En Vogue. Luxury travel is hot this year for those who live on champagne and caviar dreams. Advertising for luxury global brands is driving the comeback. Extended stay trips are trending as well as long-lead bookings (booking a year or more out from the departure date) and luxury cruises. Spa and lavish resort bookings are increasing as consumer confidence rebounds.
4. Solo traveler. Solo travelers will be hitting the road in droves this year as more resorts and tour companies cut solo traveler fees and offer excursions that cater to a party of one. You will see more comfortable and safe opportunities that meet the needs and interests of the solo traveler. 2013 is your year to explore the world on your own.
5. Culinary travel. Belly up to the table and try your own, authentic ethnic food as culinary travel explodes in almost any destination you can imagine. Whether you want to whip up croissants in Paris, Pad Thai in Chiang Mai, or make chocolate in London you can find a trip that suits your personal cooking passion. Many cruise lines also offer cooking cruises.
Bon Voyage fellow travelers and Happy New Year!!